Because it's been awhile and because I have the time, let's see what the ol' iPod throws into the shuffle tonight, for better or for worse...
First Song: "Eyes On The Prize" - Bruce Springsteen.
Nice cut from his Pete Seeger tribute album.
Second Song: "Out In The Country" - Roger Nichols and the Small Circle Of Friends
Three Dog Night most notably covered this tune of Roger's, back in the day. He included it on his recent Circle Of Friends reunion CD.
Third Song: "A House" - Doves
Acoustic-flavored cut that was the last track on Doves' first CD, "Lost Souls" I don't listen to it much.
Fourth Song: "Where The Wild Wind Blows" - Phil Keaggy
I received Phil's "Find Me In These Fields" album for Christmas back in 1990. This track gets a huge dose of psychedelia from Phil's E-Bow guitar solo in the middle of it.
Fifth Song: "Let Us Go Into The House Of The Lord" - Lonnie Liston Smith
From 1973 comes this blast of free jazz from Smith and his group The Cosmic Echoes. His passion for all things spiritual shines through and his bandmates share it, especially George Barron, whose soprano sax solo is absolutely killer on this cut.
Sixth Song: "Maker Of The Stars" - The Violet Burning
From "Faith And Devotions Of A Satellite Heart." Michael Pritzl's way-cool praise and worship album. Nice synthy, The Cure-influenced cut.
Seventh Song: "Francesca" - John Pizzarelli
Nice instrumental ballad from his CD "Bossa Nova."
Eighth Song: "Si" - Poole
Fun guitar-pop cut - easy to sing along with in the car.
Ninth Song: "Darkness On The Edge Of Town" - Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
This is the live version from the "Live: 1975-1985" box set. Beats the studio version, hands down.
Tenth Song: "Third Time Lucky" - Basia
Finally shamed here, folks. Yes, I admit it. I'm a closet Basia fan. I'm a sucker for well-executed pop-jazz. And this is first rate stuff. Basia's vocals, the horn tracks, the piano solo, I could go on...
4 comments:
Blame it on the Bossa Nova...with its magic spell...blame it on the Bossa Nova...oh wait, I got distracted when I read Bossa Nova.
I just remembered where I heard that song last - did you ever watch The West Wing? There was an episode where Ainsley Hayes got tipsy and "performed" it.
LOL...no...I bet it was classic
I love the Violet Burning. I had like 5 of their albums but the got stolen out of my car. I've been looking for them lately on the internet though...
Post a Comment