Friday, November 03, 2006

I Am a "Rough Terrain Forklift Operator"...

at least, as of tonight that's what my military job title might be! : ) My dad gave me that title after I helped him with a landscaping project today. He's building a retaining wall behind the family home in Festus. We never really had a backyard, as our lot sloped steeply downward into some woods. It was a challenge to mow in the summertime! : ) For years a major landscape project has been talked about but never came to fruition until recently. The solution is to build a retaining wall out of 2,300 pound concrete blocks and add some fill dirt and grass to level it off. The first 20 blocks were delivered today and my dad rented a jumbo forklift machine to move them down the hill and into place. I'm always a little leery about operating heavy equipment, but this experience was positive! Once I got the hang of driving it, and figured out it wouldn't roll over with me in it, it was actually kind of fun! : ) It will take about 3 more loads of blocks to do the whole job, he estimates.

Does anyone else wish the election happened last week? I'm beyond sick of all the attack ads currently polluting my television and radio stations.

I had a nice leisurely week off from work this week. I drove to Cape Girardeau to visit my grandfather in the hospital on Tuesday and Thursday, got in some great workouts and then helped my dad all day today. Tomorrow I'll rake leaves and clean up my yard. Tomorrow night is another costume party! I'll likely recycle the costume I wore last Saturday night.

No comments: