Saturday, April 05, 2008

In Memory Of...



Bill and Clara. They married quietly on a Sunday afternoon in June, 2005--two widowers who needed someone with whom to continue the sunset of their lives. I was more than a little wary when they announced their decision to marry but I figured they were old enough to know what they were doing! Clara proved to be a sweet woman, different in many ways from my beloved Mamaw but still a wonderful partner for my Papaw.

Their earthly bodies died within forty-eight hours of each other this week. Clara passed away on Wednesday morning following unforeseen complications after surgery on March 27. Bill's struggle with cancer ended on Friday just after 8:00 a.m. His health had been in decline since last summer and his last months were spent at home in hospice care.


I was fortunate and blessed to have known them. Gone but never, ever forgotten.

Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his godly ones. (Psalm 116:15 NASB)

Indeed.

2 comments:

Lynnea said...

It is an amazing story.

1UP RPG said...

John, this is a lovely tribute to you Papaw and Clara.