when, whilst cleaning out your kitchen pantry, you hold up a tupperware-like container of something and ask the dog, "what do you suppose this was?"
A can of peaches semi-exploded in the pantry during the night and leaked all over everything. At first I noticed a pool of yellow liquid on the floor and thought that Chili-dog had sprung an accidental leak. Then I investigated further and decided a jar of olive oil was the actual culprit. Only after finding more liquid on an upper shelf did I find the peaches. Guess I should have eaten them sooner. To my shame, I've had to throw out many items that were never opened and/or were way past their expiration date, including 3 cans of green beans and a small can of corn.
The pantry is clean and airing out now so all's well that ends well.
3 comments:
be careful...botulism is very dangerous...don't buy cans with dents, use before the expiration, etc...iggh.
that happens in everybody's pantry...and fridge. i once had a can of frozen orange juice get pushed behind stuff on my kitchen counter and it got lost. 3 days later it blew up with a deafening boom and sprayed OJ concentrate all over my kitchen, ceiling and all.
Don't worry - I go by the rule, 'when in doubt, throw it out.' I threw out some stuff that I know I didn't buy, which means my brother bought it while he lived with me and that was over 3 years ago!
Post a Comment