just completed a rare trifecta of seeing live performances three nights in a row -
Started off Thursday night at my church with a friend to catch opening night of a Christmas dessert theatre. Our new worship pastor and his wife have a background in the dramatic arts and decided to put on a weekend of shows as a means of outreach. The show went off without a hitch and my friend and I enjoyed it.
Friday night I caught opening night of the Ambassadors of Harmony's Christmas show. AOH is still basking in the glow of their international championship win back in July. This weekend of Christmas shows is surely their most ambitious yet. Friday night's performance was professionally filmed for DVD and Saturday night's would be webcast over the internet for a worldwide audience. Their singing was up to their usual high standards but this year they added theatrical elements that added up to a fair amount of bloat. The show ran until 10:45 pm, which was about 45 minutes too long, in this blogger's opinion.
Tonight I drove down to Festus to see my dad's church choir perform their Christmas program. The choir sang well and their message was powerful. Of course, my parents just happened to be keeping niece Lydia this weekend so I arrived at their house a bit early to see her. She was in a persnickety mood this time, but still as cute as ever. Did not like having to drive back in a rain storm, but in every life a little rain must fall, I hear.
.............
On an urelated note, I was sad to learn of the untimely death of Rev. Terry Eades on Tuesday at the age of 56. His health had declined in recent years but I had no idea how much. Bro. Terry was on staff at my church in Festus (where I was tonight) when my family started attending there in the mid-80s. He served as worship minister, youth minister, and associate pastor while he was there. I was in junior high while he was youth minister and I remember he logged many miles in a decrepit brown van ferrying our youth group to fellowships and other places. By 1990 he'd completed seminary and was called to Scott City, MO to pastor the Baptist church there. He was a man of great faith and an excellent preacher. "When they arrive at the gates of death, God welcomes those who love him." (Psalm 116:15, The Message)...I'm pretty sure Bro. Terry got a really warm welcome.
No comments:
Post a Comment