...and of course after complaining about the weather's hot-ness of the preceding week, the following week was nice and cool. I should cease and desist ruminating on the weather, I think. "We all weather the weather whether we like it or not," said a wise man somewhere in my past.
...had a nice 4th of July weekend. The holiday fell on a Sunday this year, so my company observed the holiday nicely with a day off on the following Monday, July 5. I liked that they did that. Saturday night found me covering the night shift for a co-worker who was attending our fellow co-worker's 4th of July party that night. So, with the day off on Monday, I didn't feel like I was going right back to work. My friends Kim, Gina and Jessica hosted about 40 friends and neighbors at their house in Maryland Heights on July 4th evening. It rather resembled a junior-high school dance, with the women all congregated inside the house and the men congregating grill-side outdoors. Much meat and some poultry was grilled, many appetizers consumed, and delicious desserts downed. As darkness approached, most of us jumped into our cars and headed over to the roof of the Ameristar Casino's parking garage to take in the city of St. Charles' fireworks display. It was taking place a few miles north along the Missouri River but we still got a great view. We got a nice bonus view of the Hazelwood fireworks off to the east in the distance. A few of us lingered to gaze out into the night while the assembled crowd left in their cars. It was a peaceful end to a nice night.
...took in a fantastic concert by Sam Bush and his band last night at the Old Rock House. Sam is a bluegrass legend who pioneered the "newgrass" style of bluegrass back in the '70s. He was in fine form and his band backed him in expert fashion. Sam is one of the few artists that you will ever see cover Bill Monroe AND Stevie Wonder in the same show. He and the band jammed FURIOUSLY during the latter instance. ORH is a relatively new bar and music space located a few blocks south of Busch Stadium. I'd wanted to catch Over The Rhine there back in April but severe weather prevented it. This concert made my top-10 list of the best concerts I've seen in my life.
(side note: I arrived at ORH early and caught some of the opening act's show - The Hatrick was their name and they were made up of a guitarist, bassist, and a mandolinist/drummer/harmonica player. Seriously. They lit into their songs with a manic fury that the crowd appreciated. I especially liked their cowpunk version of the Bruce Hornsby favorite "The Way It Is.")
...I wish to announce that I have to come to a Decision. I am staying in St. Louis and not signing with Miami (or Cleveland, for that matter). ESPN has declined to televise the self-serving television special I am planning. hrmph!
...It's been almost 3 years now that I've had Chili. I just scheduled her annual exam at the HSMO vet clinic. She still bounds around like a puppy at 7 1/2 yrs of age and continues to provide me with comforting companionship each day.
...Watching the recent Cardinals/Rockies series was much like watching a car accident happen in slow motion. The way we belched up the lead in the first two games was sadistically comical. The Birds are fliritng with disaster as the allow the Reds to get ahead one lost game at a time. Something's got to give, folks.
...The street that passes by my building is built atop a crumbling abandoned railroad tunnel, so it is being demolished and rebuilt a section at a time. At the moment, the section just north of my building has been turned into a giant crater of rock and gravel. It's been fascinating to watch the wrecking company eat away at the roadway.
No comments:
Post a Comment