Thursday, September 09, 2010

Family...

I've swallowed a great big dose of family over the past several days.  Saturday morning, I flew up to Omaha, Neb. to join Renee and her family at her brother and sis-in-law's house.  I had not met them since we started dating, so we thought the long weekend would be a perfect opportunity to do that.  Her sister and bro-in-law also drove up with their kids so that just added to the fun!

My weekend away was spiced with anticipation due the fact that my very pregnant sis-in-law was, well, due on Saturday.  I kept my phone close by all weekend, waiting for any text or phone call with happy news.  Alas, baby spent the long holiday weekend inside mommy.  As Renee and I were driving home on Monday evening, my phone finally lit up with a text from my dad that baby was ready to come.

Maximillian (Max) Jeffrey Matlock made his appearance early Tuesday morning.  He weighed in at a healthy 8 lbs, 13 oz and was 22 inches long.  Renee and I visited along with both sets of parents and niece Lydia Tuesday evening and he is every bit as cute and adorable as Lydia was at birth.  Lydia took to little Max just fine.  I believe she'll be a great big sister.  Everyone is safe and sound back home now.

(oh, and Max, thanks ever so much for waiting to be born until after I got home.  I would have been fine if you'd come earlier but it was nice to get the news of your birth from just a few miles away rather than, say, 500 miles away.)

(oh, and Maximillian Jeffrey?  Best. Name. Ever.  With a regal moniker like that, this kid should be able to go out and conquer Denmark when he grows up!)

Had a fun, interesting weekend in Omaha.  Renee has a quiver full of nieces and nephews to play with.  I enjoyed them all.  Oh, and if you're ever in the Omaha area and need a place to stay, I can recommend the Comfort Inn and Suites on West Dodge Road.  It offers clean, comfortable rooms for a good price.

Renee and I attended an interesting church on Sunday morning.  The church was just starting a new sermon series called "I Love the '80s" based on popular songs of the 1980's.  First up was the Bon Jovi favorite,  "Livin' On  A Prayer."  Their worship band performed a spot-on cover of the song as a prelude to the sermon.  A couple of the band members even donned bad mullet wigs for dramatic effect.  The light and fluffy sermon, as you might surmise, was based on the James 5 passage about prayer.  It was glaringly obvious that the church is trying to present itself as hip and contemporary but methinks they try a bit too hard.

Chili-dog spent the long weekend at my house since mom and dad were on baby watch.  A sitter from St. Louis Critter Sitters visited twice a day and took excellent care of her.  I can confidently recommend their service.

So, over the space of 4 days, I experienced lots of family stuff on both sides.  Being in relationship with Renee is expanding my horizons and comfort zone in positive ways.  I know it meant a lot to Renee to have me with her in Omaha and it meant a lot to me to have her with me at the hospital to see Max.  To quote those famous Turtles, we're "so happy together!"

1 comment:

Christi said...

John - you sound very happy! How fun...a new relationship & a new nephew! Congrats!