Another one bites the dust....Super Smokers BBQ has suddenly ceased operations. Their restaurants' employees showed up for work last night as usual and by the end of the night they were out on the street. Of course I have no idea what their financial situation was and if you believe the newspaper account, they did what they had to do. Nonetheless, it seems cruel and heartless to leave their employees, not to mention loyal customers, out in the cold with no warning. I wonder why, if they saw this coming (and they had to have seen it coming), they didn't just set a closing date at the end of the year and call it quits? I can't vouch for the quality of their product as I have never eaten any of it but it was apparently very, very good.
This happened recently with a local chain of appliance stores, as well. Their situation is more ominous, as they had, oh, many thousands of dollars in undelivered orders for customers and the AG's office was properly miffed.
I caught the end of the Rose Bowl the other night. I saw bits and pieces of it while I was at the Y but watched the spectacular ending from my comfy club chair at home. When it came down to 4th and 5 near the goal line for Texas, I asked Vince Young via my television, "it all comes down to this; what're you gonna do, son, what're you gonna do?" Of course, we know that he subsequently scampered into the end zone to put his team on top to stay. The game was all that you'd like it to be - the two best college football teams in the nation playing their patooties off for all the marbles in front of a national TV audience (which proved to be 21.7% of homes with a television). I give hefty man-props to young Mr. Young. As a man, the ability to come through in the clutch is a huge validation of one's manhood. Moreover, it's every quarterback's dream to lead his team to victory in the big game. I'm just glad the game wasn't a blowout.
The sort-of-cool-yet-sort-of-tragic thing about television on Thursday nights is that you can catch 3-hour marathons of "COPS" on competing cable stations AT THE SAME TIME! FX and CourtTV were the culprits last night. You've all seen enough of them to have your favorite COPS moments....come on, now. Mine are the paint huffers who insist they aren't huffing even as their spray-painted upper lips give them away. Another occurred last night as a 'cuffed 'n stuffed young criminal boldly challenged a cop to a fight as his partner in crime cracked up in the seat next to him. I chuckled as well.
While we're on the subject of television, I was unfortunately entranced last night by a rerun of "My Three Sons" from the mid-60s. The family had been to the circus and that night one of the lions escaped and ended up at their house. The rest of the show revolved around their discovery of said lion. THE ENTIRE REST OF THE SHOW. You mean TV was that easy back then? You could get away with that? That seems so tame, no pun intended, in comparison to today's "viewer discretion advised" television world.
I did delete the tribute post to the fallen miners - all the newsheads on TV are blathering on about who to blame for the bad information, which repulses me so I took it down.
I would like to state for the record that I do own "Big John" as a 45-RPM vinyl record.
So I'm taking tomorrow off...what to do, what to do?
No comments:
Post a Comment