...that was the punchline in a recent "Frazz" comic strip and boy, did it ever apply to my day. There's an old Willie Nelson song that is goes, "the last thing I needed the first thing this morning was to have you walk out on me." Well, the last thing I needed first thing this morning was to have a critical manager's computer walk out on her. Or rather, to have its hard drive walk out on it. When my VP walked in to our office area and asked that someone go down and "get her computer to boot!!" I happened to be at my desk and, true to my fireman's nature, went to check out the fire. My heart sank when I heard the ominous, telltale, "clunk clunk" from inside her computer. Despite my best rescue attempts, I could not save it. I have shipped it to a local data recovery company in hopes that they can save her data. Oh, by the way, she had nothing backed up to a server so this would be a bad loss. A user losing an entire hard drive is like a boxer getting hit below the belt...computer techs take it personally.
That coupled with the usual Monday flurry of calls made for a stressful day. The fact were down one day tech and one evening tech didn't help matters any. There's a part of me that wishes I'd stayed in bed and extended the weekend a day. There's another part of me that reminds the other part that days like today are part of the business I chose to be in and these days are going to happen, so get through it and get on with it. I'm taking Wednesday off (because I have to work Saturday this week) so there's a bit of a breather coming soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment