Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Great Perspective!...


Last night, I caught the tail-end of Jeffery Brown's interview of LA Dodgers baseball broadcaster Vin Scully for the Newshour with Jim Lehrer on PBS. Scully is a sports broadcasting legend and Dodgers institution, having broadcast their games since their Brooklyn days of the 1950's. He could retire any time he wants to but will be in the broadcast booth calling the upcoming playoff series between the Dodgers and Cardinals.

I started watching just as Brown asked Scully about possible retirement plans, as he is 81 years old. Here's that bit of the conversation:

VIN SCULLY: I've told several writers this, and, again, I get back to it, but if you want to make God smile, tell him your plans. And I've always been very, very respectful of that sentence. All I know is, I'm working this year, and God willing, I plan to work next year. Somewhere over that year, my next step will come about. And that's about as all I can determine right now.

JEFFREY BROWN: But you're still enjoying what you're doing?

VIN SCULLY: I love it. And you know how I know I love it? Because when there's a great play on the field and the crowd roars, I still get goose bumps. I'm just like that little kid under the radio.

Read the entire interview here.

Love that perspective! He's one of the all-time greats.

No comments: