because I can't think of one.
I tried mightily yesterday to do a video blog but after more than an hour of false starts and outtakes, I gave up. TV is harder than it looks, folks. So, you get the text-only version.
It was mighty, mighty cold 'round these parts last week. It was probably the coldest week that I've experienced since I've lived in this house. There was a modest snowstorm overnight Wednesday into Thursday which only deepened the cold. It was so cold that I didn't walk Chili-dog at all until Saturday. I just didn't feel safe having her out early in the morning in the extremest cold. Things bottomed out on Saturday night, with the first period of below-zero temperatures in about 10 years.
Weekend was quiet - had to stay close to home because I am on call for work until this Wednesday. I did venture up to the Borders store in Brentwood because they had a couple of CDs that I've been looking for in stock and I had a 33% off coupon. (The CDs were by The Clientele and Camera Obscura. No, you've probably not heard of them but they are both fabulous!) I also bought a new devotional book for the year, "Look Unto Me: The Devotions of Charles Spurgeon." It's based on Spurgeon's classic "Morning By Morning" devotional. I like what I've read of it so far.
Mark McGwire finally came out of hiding to make his long-anticipated steroids confessional today. He confirmed the obvious, that he was juiced during his 1998 home run record breaker season. I knew he was guilty as suspected after his foolish appearance before the Congressional panel a few years back. "I'm not here to talk about the past" were his words at that time, which translates to "yeah, I used steroids but I really, REALLY don't want to admit to it yet." That he would eventually confess was pretty much a given after he accepted an offer to become the Cardinals hitting coach for this season. I guess a guy can only live with his past for so long. His confessional was a scripted, carefully planned event as detailed in this NYT article.
Funniest, most awesome song lyric I've heard in a long time: "You, with your dietary restrictions / Said you loved me with a lot of conviction" - from Camera Obscura's "French Navy." That's a heckuva way to rhyme two words! :) Later in the same song we get, "You make me go 'ooooooh' with the things that you do, you do, you do." Lovely.
No comments:
Post a Comment