Monday, August 20, 2007

I Took The Plunge...

I have joined Facebook... : ) several of my friends, including Bob of 4 Of Clubbs, are there already and I wanted to see what all the fuss is about.

_______________

nothing much more to report, really. My home is nicely air-conditioned since Friday. I was in sticker shock for awhile. I like to do product research before making a major purchase and this time I had to decide quickly. The service company I called is a distributor for the Fedders brand of furnaces and ACs. They're not well known but they seem to build quality products.

I am trying a Gentle Leader head collar on Chili. It seems to work wonders for dogs who pull on their leash and Chili has to get past that if she wants to test out of obedience class.

My employer has offered an early-retirement buyout. Of course, I am not eligible but many good people are signing up to leave. My department is losing 2 technicians, one of whom I have worked with closely since I've been here. It's going to be a bumpy adjustment as I will undoubtedly get much of his responsibility. He has promised to be available whenever I need him, though. The newspaper industry is in a bad place right now. It's a digital world now, and the traditional media is feeling the effects. Advertisers are pouring their money into internet and other new media outlets. Thus, newspaper advertising revenues are down at papers all over the country. My employer is being polite by offering the early retirement. Other newspapers are simply laying off workers. My job is safe but it may be time to start looking around...

No comments: