Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Catching Up On Recent Events...

Happy New Year, everyone. I spent New Year's Eve at a party with lots of friends, mostly from my Monday-night bible study. My bro and sis-in-law made an appearance but didn't quite make it to midnight before they ducked out. I was surprised they came but glad they did.

I was exceedingly glad to see ol' Mizzou whup up on Arkansas. The Tigers played with the right amount of intensity and passion to put a victorious stamp on their dream season. I always say that the the best way to respond to being ripped off is to try and make the people who ripped you off look foolish, so take that, Orange Bowl. The game featured two(!) Heisman Trophy finalists but the stars were the Tiger defense and a fleet-footed tailback named Tony Temple. Arkansas obviously prepared for a passing attack and Missouri responded by letting TT run HOG WILD (there I said it!). Oklahoma lost in the Fiesta Bowl tonight, so there's a good chance that Mizzou could end up with the best record on the Big 12 conference this year. Wouldn't THAT be nice!

The much-hyped, much-dreaded, overexposed shutdown of I-64/40 happened early this morning. Rush hours this morning and evening were almost problem-free. Road crews and news crews prepared like it was the second coming of D-Day and they ended up with a NON-STORY! Traffic was light, as it always is following the holidays. Either the media over-exposed this and scared off the general public or they just flat-out failed to anticipate the light traffic. By the time I got to work at 8:00 a.m., the party line was "well, just wait until next Monday." Already covering their derrieres, they were.

No comments: