Monday, January 28, 2008

A Monday in January...

I've only been blogging sporadically lately. It's January, it's cold, blah, etc...no excuses, I know.

Chili's obedience classes have started back up after holiday break. We're going on Saturday afternoons now that I'm back on a 9-5 during the week. There were 9(!) dogs in the first class, which sent Chili into super hyper-ized mode and distracted her terribly. This discouraged me greatly, more so when the instructors introduced new, tougher graduation requirements. I figured she could pass, given a year or two of practice. We had to miss the next class but we went back this past Saturday. There were only 2 other dogs that made it to class and it made for a much better time. Very amusing is the massive Saint Bernard/Great Pyrenees mix that its owner is attempting to train. He appears to be a gentle soul, fortunately. Chili did better, so I re-enlisted us for another 5 weeks.

Chili and I took advantage of the mild weather yesterday. We took a long walk around Jefferson Barracks park in the late afternoon sunshine. I really have to work on her behavior around other dogs. She still goes nuts whenever another dog approaches.

I broke bread (or rather, pizza) with some of the guys from my Monday night bible study on Saturday night. We indulged at Dewey's Pizza in beautiful downtown Kirkwood, MO

I rented the latest entry in the "Bourne" series of fine action thrillers after the pizza party. "Ultimatum" is certainly worthy of the critical praise it received - the stunts and non-stop action were awesome! Chili got a little spooked because I cranked up the volume on the ol' home theater system and she crawled up into my lap a couple of times. Folks, you really need to have the experience of having a 70-pound dog crawling in to your lap. In her attempt to get comfortable, she put her weighty paws near some um, very sensitive areas of my torso. :)

My church is going through a preaching series on the wisdom of Solomon and how it applies to our lives. Yesterday was sex day. Yeah, we talked about it, from Proverbs 5. The "M" word was thrown out by pastors in the main service and my contemporary Quest service.

(Riotous moment: The Quest service has been employing homemade "man on the street" interview films as visual aids during the message each week. The pastor has gone to the Delmar Loop area where a diversity of people can be found. This week's question: "Do you think the world has become overly-sexualized, and if so, is that a good or bad thing?" One of the interviewees was a grandma-type older lady. She replied with an emphatic "YES" and when asked why, replied "because these kids today --BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP--our congregation howled.)

It was odd to see Crowded House playing on Austin City Limits Friday night. I always associated that show with country music but then again my local PBS hasn't shown many episodes in the past several years. I've liked Crowded House since I saw them opening for Bruce Hornsby at the Fox Theatre way back in 1986.

I haven't gotten to see my niece lately but I hear she's still doing great. I have the day off this Wednesday so maybe I can see her then.

I've been in a strange sort of cleaning mode lately. My cubicle at work has been seriously de-cluttered and looks much nicer. Chili got a good bath on Saturday morning and my car got its bath in the afternoon.

No comments: