Well, Mommy and Daddy and Lydia made it home around 8:30 last night. Both sets of grandparents and I were waiting anxiously. A nice home-cooked dinner was warming on the stove and we all gratefully partook once the new family got settled. It was satisfying to see my mom and dad finally get to hold and cuddle a grandchild in their arms. I suppose it's a moment all moms and dads look forward to once their children are adults themselves.
My own reaction to having a niece has troubled me a bit. I didn't feel a huge rush of emotion or get teary-eyed or anything. It was like I was just sort of "there," not really emotionally connected to everything. I was almost more concerned with capturing everything on film or video rather than experiencing the moment. Another thing - after the baby was born it seemed everyone but me had had friends and family to call to deliver the good news to. I stood outside the nursery with the grandparents and mentally went through my list of acquaintances and found there was no one I was close enough to to call.
One very sweet part of the homecoming last night was the fact that I was able to be there. My work schedule changed again and I ended up back on my former schedule of M-F 9-5. The new schedule took effect last night with another co-worker working the Sunday night shift. I was SO HAPPY not be working.
More baby pictures here.
No comments:
Post a Comment