at the Major League Baseball Players' Association. They have opened an investigation into why several of its big-name players are still free agents. Players such as Barry Bonds, Kenny Lofton, David Wells and Mike Piazza are still jobless as of this writing. A few teams have job openings that these players would fit nicely into, yet they remain unsigned.
I have a theory, maybe I'm wrong but hear me out. These "star" players they're concerned about are all near or above the age of 40! It's called "they have nothing left and but won't admit they're through!" What's more, Barry Bonds, who is the biggest of the big names, IS UNDER INDICTMENT BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT!! HELLO! No team is going to touch him as long as that monkey is riding shotgun on his back. The fact that Bonds' old team, the San Francisco Giants, have removed all references to him from their stadium should tell you how they feel about him.
Now, mind you, I have nothing against the age of 40 or athletes who play up to and beyond that age but if you've got no gas left in your tank you should just retire quietly and move on. Matt Morris is a good example of this - he is still in his early 30s but retired this week after being released by the Pittsburgh Pirates. If the Pirates can't use you, then you know your career is really over, folks.
Should all Realtors whose listed homes aren't selling band together and investigate why that is so? Should all salesmen whose products aren't selling investigate why their products won't well?
Give me a break...
3 comments:
maybe it's a vast right wing conspiracy! clearly a player with their stats who is in his mid thirties is worth way more than a guy in his 40's who could break a hip (so to speak) at any minute. if they really wanted to play they would cut the asking price. maybe they should agree to one year contracts at top dollar. more teams would probably take that risk. they want the same big bucks and long term contract even though their viable future as a top athlete is much shorter.
I like Barry Bonds. I think it is sad that a team would remove references to him. He was a great player. He didn't do anything different (except ego) than a lot of his teammates.
I was a big fan of the Pirates in high school. I loved the Bonds/Andy Van Slyke years. I still have a fondness for the Pirates.
I am not the typical baseball fan though, my favorite player of all time continues to be Darrell Porter.
ok, a bit of the local perspective on the Pirates. Around here, we all love the ball park, love the view from the ballpark, love the perogie races they have at the ball park,(i kid you not!) and love all of the sports teams in town EXCEPT the Pirates. If the stars align and the Hockey gnomes are with us, the Pengins will play for Lord Stanley's Cup which thankfully should keep any reporting of Pirate antics to a minimum. Heck, if the Pens actually do play for the cup, the effective length of the Pirate's season could be no more than the 2 or 3 weeks between the end of hockey season and the start of Steeler training camp. This could be a good summer in Pittsburgh after all!
Post a Comment