Sunday, December 14, 2008

Sunday Night...

- was too tired and too late last Sunday night to post anything so this is two weeks' worth...might be something, might be nothing but here goes...

- Ol' Mizzou goes to the Alamo Bowl, as I predicted. The way they played against KU and OU, the punch bowl would be a struggle for 'em. At least they can claim they played against a Heisman Trophy wnner in the Oklahoma game. Sam Bradford looks barely old enough to shave, much less steer his team to a national championship game. He's just a sophomore, folks. Big 12 teams get to face him for at least another year! YAY!

- speaking of Big 12 football, how the heck does Gene Chizik get hired on at Auburn? Sure, he was once an assistant coach there, but he was 5-19 as a head coach at Iowa State...talent level wasn't great there but still...makes me wonder if they did it just to see Kirk Herbstreit's head explode.

- have participated in numerous white elephant gift exchanges in my life but never have I seen an actual white elephant in any of them.

- "Snowfall" by Manhattan Transfer is a great winter song. love love it.

- have started Christmas shopping, finally. One of Chili's gifts came in yesterday's mail. I ordered something for Lydia Joy yesterday. I am really looking forward to this Christmas, more so than any in recent years. This will be Lydia Joy's first Christmas and she'll be with us, and we'll have a dinner cooked in my Mom's brand new kitchen. I'm praying for good health for everyone...a nice snowfall would be nice, as well.

- Mother Nature turned on her wind machine and pointed it squarely at the Midwest this weekend... the wind has blown hard literally ALL weekend. A frigid Arctic blast is said to be descending upon us as I write this.

- as long as I have been in the on-call tech rotation at work (almost 2 years), I'd never gotten paged on a Sunday until today. I was parking my car at church when the pager went off. Fortunately, the user was able to wait until I got done with church.

- Sermon today was from Jonah. His heart was hard and he almost missed what God wanted to do for the Ninevites through him. In the same way, we can miss the true meaning of Christmas if our heart is hard, even a little bit. The answer is at the end of Psalm 139: "search me, O God, and see if there be any wicked way within me..." (slightly paraphrased.)

No comments: