By now most Americans are inured to the almost-daily casualty reports that come in from the ongoing wars/conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. I admit, I let them flow in one ear and out the other, since they've been going on for so many years now. I don't have any friends or family serving over there so it's sometimes hard to feel a personal involvement.
Until now, that is. My third(?) cousin Spc. Robert Charlton died last week at a hospital in Germany of injuries suffered in a "non-combat-related accident" in Afghanistan. His body is arriving on Thursday in my hometown of Malden, MO. I was surprised to hear this news when talking to my mom Tuesday night. Surprised because I didn't even know he had joined the Army in 2007 and had deployed to Afghanistan in January after being initially stationed in Ft. Drum, NY. He was the grandson of my late grandfather's older brother and I can't remember the last time I saw him face to face or talked to him.
He was just 22 years old.
Man, I gotta keep in better touch with my extended family.
No comments:
Post a Comment