Friday, August 25, 2006

Interesting...

On his latest podcast, Mark Lowry interviews noted Christian speaker and retired college professor Tony Campolo. Mark asked him a question that a viewer had recently asked. The question had to do with Jesus' statement "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?". Tony offered an interesting explanation that I haven't heard before. Basically, Jesus wasn't wondering where God was, but simply pointing people back to Psalm 22. Psalm 22 prophetically described the crucifixion in great detail, including the triumphant resurrection at the end. If people read it all the way through, they would know that the crucifixion wasn't the end, but they should wait for Jesus to rise again. Has anyone else heard this point of view?

View the interview (podcast #74) here. It comes after the song.

...................

Jazz trumpeter and bandleader Maynard Ferguson has passed away at the age of 78. His trademark was his stratospheric trumpet solos that would often feature high notes that no one else could reach. He is perhaps best known for his contributions to the "Rocky" soundtracks (Gonna Fly Now). I saw him and his Big Bop Nouveau Big Band in concert at a local high school 10 years ago and was very much "jazzed" by the experience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that Maynard Ferguson died. I met him when he was in the St. Charles area when I was a sr. in college. He was an awesome musician. I am going to contact my friend, Mike, who was in his band a long time ago.