Tuesday, September 11, 2007

New shift - Pros/Cons?...

One of my co-workers is taking the early-retirement buyout and will be leaving at the end of the month. Since we don't know if we will be allowed to hire a replacement, one of us has to take over his weekly shift. This morning, I was asked to be that person.

Here's the deal; he works Sunday night 4 pm - 12:00 am and then Monday 10:00 am - 6:00 pm, then Tuesday-Thursday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm. I would be off Friday and Saturday.

I basically have until the end of the week to decide. The only obvious bad thing is that the Monday hours would make it almost impossible to continue with my Monday evening bible study. That starts at 7:00 pm.

Other than that, I wouldn't be able to walk the dog in the morning, but I would have time for a longer walk in the afternoon. I would have to get up earlier and FORCEMYSELFTOGOTOBEDEARLIEROMIGOSH but I would have more time in the evenings.
The Sunday night shift would be easy but the late night isn't appealing. It might be nice to have Friday/Satutrday/Sunday afternoon off; almost a 3-day weekend.

Readers - any other pros or cons that you could help me out with?

3 comments:

1UP RPG said...

Would the varied hours mess Chili up at all, do you think? Or do you think she'd be able to adapt?

John said...

hard to say, at this point. She's been pretty adaptable to the schedule variations that have occurred thus far so I would hope so.

Anonymous said...

how about flexibility as far as time off if you needed it? would there be someone to cover that shift for you?
it may be that they will hire someone eventually? there might be the opportunity to give it a trial run and then if they hire you could go back to your original schedule. i say go for it. change life up a bit.