Sunday, June 01, 2008

Sunday Night SOC...

- I pulled into my driveway at 5:10 this evening. 6 hrs, 40 minutes on the return trip. 900+ miles on my car's trip meter. All that driving for an 18-hour whirlwind tour of southeast Kansas. Not a bad trip, but don't ask me to do it every weekend, please, thanks! My hotel accommodations at the Best Western Airport Inn and Conference Center were adequate; not fancy but not roach motel-ish. The wedding reception buffet was definitely the best meal I'd had all week.

- Chili-dog was overjoyed/ecstatic to see me tonight. Charlie Brown said "happiness is a warm puppy," (am I correct?) but give me a 65-pound brown dog who is beside herself at her owner's return anytime. The pet sitter service apparently didn't walk her while I was gone so I took her on a nice long walk in the late-afternoon sunshine.

- I've been getting some new on-the-job training lately. The most recent round of layoffs necessitated my learning how to back up our telephone operations staff whenever needed. Basically I've learned how to program new phones, and move wires around appropriately when people move to a new desk. My dad's a retired phone man so he'd be a bit proud if I could ever remember to mention it to him.

- So Hillary C. was ecstatic about winning the primary in *ahem* Puerto Rico. I could hear Barak Obama yawning all the way from my car on I-35 in Kansas.

- Gotta hand it to my Cardinals. They're hanging tough in the NL Central behind the *ahem* Cubs. Don Tony's been surprisingly open minded about using kid players this year. He did the smart thing, tough as it was, in kicking Chris D. back to Memphis to get his head and his swing together. That kid Joe Mather that I mentioned recently came up to replace him and hit the ground running on Friday night. His RBI proved to be the game winner in his major league debut.

No comments: