Sunday, June 15, 2008

Sunday Night Stream Of Consciousness...

- Poor Yadi Molina; he took the Bruntlett of that home plate collision this afternoon. If C Dunc's throw is anywhere close to the correct side of home plate, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Lucky for him later that Utley's relay throw to Flash Gordon didn't go as planned so he got to be today's hero. Anthony Reyes is today's feel-good story. He was just recalled from minor-league exile and happened to be the last pitcher standing today, so he got the win.

- Father's Day tasted as good as Mother's Day did a few weeks ago. The bro, sis-in-law, and adorable Lydia spent the weekend with the in-laws so the parents met me at Tucker's for lunch. I bought my Dad a nice thick filet mignon. He's more than deserving. I also got him a nice card and the new CD by James Hunter - more on him later. Oh, and he got some Chili-time at my house after lunch. I'd say he had a pretty good day.

- Boy, the blinds above my bed were really dirty tonight. Guess I should have cleaned them at least once since they were installed a couple of years ago.

- Sometime this week I will take possession of the 40" Samsung LCD HD-television that I bought from Ultimate Electronics last week. They were all sold out because the price on that particular model was oh-so-right that many people took advantage before I did. Of course, I had to upgrade my DVD-player as well. Hey, the old stuff was 10 and 8 years old, respectively. It was time.

- got a phone number, should I call?

- As previously blogged, I saw Willie Nelson in concert for the first time in my life last night. Should have gone long before then. Willie was, well, Willie. I couldn't see it in the air but I could smell it. His two teenage sons are playing in his band now. They have a little band of their own and opened the show with a few songs. My seat was in the lower balcony, four rows from the front, just to the left of center. Not bad for waiting until Friday to buy. I was more than a little frustrated with the woman in front of me at the will-call window who suddenly decided to purchase tickets for an upcoming Dolly Parton concert. It was five minutes till show time and she was dickering with the box office clerk for the best available seats, oblivious to those around her silently steaming.

- The second opening act was a British cat named James Hunter. I'd not heard of him prior to checking him out online on Friday. He does retro Motown-style soul, blues, and R&B. His records could have been released in 1965 and they sound authentic. Think early Wilson Pickett and Jackie Wilson and you'll be in the neighborhood. He really wowed the crowd with his sound and sweet vocals.

- Got a bit of poison ivy itch going on on both my forearms. It was part of what my weed-whacker whacked out of my ivy patch last week. I wore long pants but it apparently blew up on my arms.

- A-B is rumored to be mounting a "mexican defense" to fight off its hostile European suitor. ("mexican defense" refers to A-B's purchase of the other half of a Mexican brewery that it already owns half of, thereby making themselves too expensive to take over.) If it works, maybe they can sell it to the St. Louis Rams. It's about the only one they didn't try last season.

-- Very relevant topic we're exploring at my church currently - living life on "empty" (sub-topic: what are you filling your tank with?) The scripture texts are all from Ecclesiastes. 3:14a is a pretty cool verse:
"I know that everything that God does will endure forever" (NIV)

No comments: