Sunday, June 08, 2008

Sunday Night SOC...

- It was a quiet weekend 'round these parts. I drug out the ol' Toro weed-eater yesterday and trimmed 'round the edges and corners of my back yard. The jungle that was overtaking my ivy patch also is no more, alas.

- I covered the night shift at work yet again last night. My co-worker wanted to wine and dine his wife for their anniversary, so I couldn't very well say no! : ) Besides, I appreciated having lots of time to get to know my (**CAUTION!! COMPUTER GEEK MOMENT DEAD AHEAD**) new Dell Optiplex GX755! The time has come for us to force-feed ourselves Windows Vista Business Pro and so that little excuse bought us all new computers. They come with all the bells and whistles we need to get our jobs done.

- Near the end of my shift (1:00 a.m.-ish) I discovered a neat little video channel on YouTube. Someone took the time to put together the opening theme songs and credits for old television shows starting in the late '70s, running through the 1990's. Talk about a time machine!! I discovered obscure and short-lived TV shows I never even knew existed. My favorite so far is an Andy Griffith potboiler from 1979 called "Salvage 1." This show found Andy Griffith playing a salvage man whose dream was to get to the moon and retrieve old space junk for later sale back on Earth. I'm not making this up! It gets better - he hires a "former astronaut and a fuel expert" to collaborate on a moon mission. Unbelievable. It only lasted a few months, according to TV.com. Check out the YouTube channel here. One thing is for sure - today's TV landscape is not what it was 30 years ago.

- What can Big Brown do for you? Only win the first two legs of the Triple Crown and then flame out spectacularly during the third one. The jockey said he could tell his horse just ran out of gas and wisely stopped him before he hurt himself. Today I read that subsequent medical tests revealed nothing in particular wrong with him. Nothing that would explain why he didn't do his thing yesterday. I think the horse just decided he didn't want to run yesterday. Maybe he was in a contrary mood. It could be he did it to spite his trainer, who is said to be an arrogant, bombastic man. Whatever the cause, a longshot that no one was expecting to win actually went wire-to-wire to win the Belmont Stakes and I find that most exciting storyline of the race.

- My brother and sis-in-law's church made the New York Times on June 1! Check it out here. They're doing church differently and I find their approach innovative and refreshing.

- I caught much of Hillary C's concession speech on the radio yesterday. How much did it pain her to have to say those words "Yes We Can!" and "I endorse Barack Obama" ??? I think someone shot her up with a whole bunch of morphine so she wouldn't have to feel it. (JUST KIDDING!!!!) It's now Obama vs. McCain for all the marbles, folks. This one should be a doozy.

- I'm convinced that the Sonic Lemon-Berry Slush should be a new Wonder of the world. It's just that good.

Off to bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i concur on the lemon-berry slush.