Sunday, August 31, 2008

Sunday Night Stream Of Consciousness...

- Let me give voice to the silent hopes of the masses: New Orleans - please God, not again!

- Weekend recap that you've been breathlessly waiting for...nothing overly exciting to report. walked the dog, haircut, bought CD (yay Record Exchange!), washed new windows, covered the night shift at work (very quiet night, yay!), got to watch the Mizzou-Illini game, church today, sucked in by Law&Order marathon on TNT, housecleaning, groceries, now this blog.

- speaking of haircuts, apparently a holiday weekend is a great time to get one, because my shop was near empty and I got in and out in, like, 15 minutes.

- Mizzou-Illini showdown at the Ed; looked like Tigers had it well in hand at the half, turned it into a shootout in the second half. entertaining game for the sold-out crowd. if the defense rights its ship then the sky would seemingly be the limit because the offense has fascinating potential.

- Cardinals-Astros showdown; Cards out of gas, will not catch the Brew Crew for the wildcard, I think. AP will get the batting title but that's about the only positive we will glean the rest of the way.

- more layoffs at the P-D last week; ax fell on some newsroom middle management editors, 1 HR person (ironic!) others within production operations. newspaper shrinking in size almost every week. It's simple math: newsprint prices increase monthly, employee health care costs are hight, overall revenue is flat or down. Wall Street has to be soothed or else, folks. Sad but true. it's becoming more and more of a drag to stay employed there these days.

- Sarah Palin as VP for McCain. out-of-left-field choice. I don't follow politics very closely but I don't think many people expected it. On the surface it would seem like a very risky choice, but, again, I don't know about these things. Any other insights? Nice, polite insights only,please!

- If NOLA does get hit Katrina-style again, GW better respond perfectly this time or he'll need to find himself a swamp to hide in until next January.

- I love the Chicken Alfredo at The Olive Garden. had a nice dinner there with the folks Friday night. my boss let me off way early due to the holiday weekend fast approaching. met the folks at my house so they could admire my windows and drop some love on Chili-dog then we ate.

- this would have been a good weekend to do a "weekend in the life" photo series. maybe I'll remember to do one soon.

No comments: