- SO....let the games begin. didn't catch the opening ceremonies live, was finishing up "North By Northwest." Somehow Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint hanging off of Mount Rushmore seemed more, well, gripping. Seriously, the pageantry is lost on me but seeing the parade of nations would have been cool.
- AT&T U-Verse has turned on several extra Olympics channels for my viewing pleasure. Two of them are strictly soccer and basketball in HD and broadcast at odd hours. The others offer Chinese and Japanese TV's coverage of lesser events like archery, weightlifting, and judo. I thought I'd lived a full life but then I heard Japanese play-by-play of a badminton match this afternoon. Boy, was I wrong!
- Stay tuned for Laura Wilkinson in the diving competition. She's an American from Texas who is a strong Christian and a darn good diver with a great chance of success. I still remember her TV interview during the 2000 Olympics where she quoted Philippians without batting an eye.
- So Brett Favre is a New York Jet now. This is a sad, sad turn of events and I hope he's happy now that he's soiled his good name and his future legacy. He's made his bed; now he sleeps in it. Both sides got dirty in this sad little episode and it all could have been avoided. That's all I have to say about that.
- was saddened to hear of the passing of my great-great Aunt E. this week. She was 100 years old and as such, the oldest living relative in my family on either side. This after losing one of my late Mamaw's brothers a few weeks ago. I've lost an inordinate number of family members on my mom's side this year. So many loving people from my childhood have gone on.
- But, happily, my niece Lydia is now 7 months old and growing up quickly, it seems. She's beginning to crawl and pull herself up now. My dad created a slide show of pictures he took of her last week. Interested parties my view it here.
- don't look now but the Cardinals' rebuilt pitching ace Carp might have hurt himself again. I flipped over to the Cards/Cubs game on ESPN tonight just in time to see him leave the game mid-inning. I think it's the wild card or bust for us this year, folks. You heard it here first.
- am enjoying this stretch of mild August weather. It's been low 80s all weekend and will be through the middle of the week. I took advantage of it by getting in a great bike ride around Creve Coeur lake and over to the Katy Trail and back yesterday late morning.
- am starting The Dog on Cod Liver Oil. It's specially made for dogs and was recommended by a friend to control shedding. It will also allegedly turn her coat to velveteen, which would be cool. Just a teaspoon a day is all it takes, so we'll see. At the moment, she's curled up on her bed with her stuffed animal under hear head and a bone at her nose. It's unbelievably cute.
- I end this edition with a few words about the late, great soul brother Isaac Hayes, departed from this life today. On behalf of all the babies who have been conceived to your music, thank you. There will be some tearful gravediggers this week who will have to ask each other, "can you dig it?"
1 comment:
Lydia's pictures were the perfect antidote for the trails of the last couple weeks. what a cutie! keep them coming!
Post a Comment