How is it already December 18th? I looked away for just a second, and here it is! The Christmas season has flown by this year, for some reason. Strange, very strange. My Christmas cards did get into the mail this morning, however. My Christmas shopping has NOT EVEN BEEN STARTED! : )
Let's do the usual recap...
Friday night was the premiere performance of the resurrected "Living Christmas Tree" at my parents' church. The program was divided into two halves - one distinctly secular and the other distinctly religious. The tree made its proper debut in the second half. It was decked out spectacularly, as the music director is a florist during the week. Very glitzy, indeed, with computer-controlled lights illuminating lush green garland. There wasn't enough room for all the singers, with one group of black-clad choristers standing off to the side in ensemble fashion. The program was certainly the most ambitious production ever done at the church and it came off nicely. My bro and sis-in-law also came down to see it with me and my mom. We all went out for a late supper at the local St. Louis Bread Company afterwards.
Saturday, I attended a holiday luncheon for the volunteers at the church service where I serve on Sundays. The lead pastor of the service and his wife gave it at their home. The eats and fellowship were great! That night I dropped in on my friend K's birthday party at her home. There was an interesting book on her coffee table, "Horrifically Bad Album Covers," which covers some of the worst of the old LP album covers. Great for many laughs at parties! Looks like it's exclusive to Barnes and Noble, though.
Yesterday, I crashed at home after church and lunch at Applebees. I got my Christmas cards done and did chores.
My mom and dad are hosting the annual Matlock Family Christmas Day Spectacular at their house this again this year. After all the time and energy they spent running around caring for my grandpa this fall, I'd have not been surprised if they opted out this year. It will happen, albeit with dinner contributions from the attendees, I suspect.
Speaking of my grandpa, he continues to recover. He got a good post-surgical report last week. My mom will continue to work with him part-time, supplanting the other home-based therapy he is already receiving.
And I wish to state for the record that any Christmas gifts I receive will pale in comparison to the gift of my grandpa's presence this year. The reality that he's alive and well enough to be home for Christmas is enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment