I was surfing the channels last night and noticed that G4, the "video game network" is now showing episodes of "COPS" during an hour of prime time. Its lack of connection to video games aside, I was only annoyed because it replaced the second daily episode of "Star Trek The Next Generation" that I normally tuned in to. Why the Sci-Fi channel never picked up STTNG is beyond me but it certainly doesn't belong on a video game TV network. It's all about the demographics and the audience you're targeting, folks.
Speaking (or blogging?) of weird television, why is the TLC channel airing shows about freaks of nature? Case in point: last evening they aired shows about conjoined, TWO-HEADED teenage girls and a toddler with primordial dwarfism. Previously, I noticed they have aired a British show about a kid whose skin falls off. There is some inspirational value to these shows but mostly, it smacks of exploitation! They likely air it under the guise of "TLC is THE LEARNING CHANNEL," but I think it's distasteful and appeals to our base instincts, as much of television does today. Am I way off base here or is there something that I'm missing? Thoughts?*
"SO IF IT OFFENDS YOU, DON'T WATCH IT!!," protests the network executive.
yeah, but how about not putting it out there in the first place?
*I'm guilty of watching much of the two programs, I admit. But only to judge their content! And I am also guilty of imagining what it would be like to be a cop and pull over a car that those two-headed girls are driving. Who would you give the ticket to? Would it be two tickets for them? Would the cop faint dead away at the sight of them? : )
1 comment:
i'm so relieved! i thought i was the only one who felt like this about those shows! while i am definately pro information in most areas of life this network seems to be making a concerted effort to draw viewers by using these challanged folks like a carnival used side show performers. they are clearly expecting to make money off these people by increasing their ratings. it seems to be the same mindset to me.
yes it is important the we realize that people with disabilities etc. are feeling, loving and yes, even not very nice people sometimes. to me, the constant bombardment of this type of show on one network smacks of condescention ansd exploitation to me.
Post a Comment