Friday, December 01, 2006

Woke up this morning...

...at 5 a.m. to find that the air in my house was quite...nippy. Yep, yesterday's ice storm knocked out power to my house, so once again I find myself at the mercy of the local power conglomerate. :) Thank goodness for my gas water heater, which delivered hot water for my shower. Hopefully this won't be an instant replay of July's prolonged power outage!

I must chuckle, however, at the fact that the temperature hovered near 70 degrees for nearly a week then in the space of 24 hours bottomed out like my voice did between the 8th and 9th grades. Spring one day, winter the next. Ah, Missouri!

----------
My grandpa was moved up to Barnes-Jewish hospital on Wednesday. His stroke recovery is right on track but his other problem is still a problem. The doctor treating him in Cape Girardeau couldn't do any more for him so we moved him to get treatment from some of the world's best doctors. We remain optimistic that he'll be home for Christmas. Fortunately, my brother and sis-in-law live near the hospital so they provided lodging to my mom and grandma last night during the ice storm.

---------------

It's a rather strange experience, attending your boss' funeral visitation. I hope none of my readers ever have to do it. It was gut-wrenching, seeing him laid out in a casket on Tuesday night. I'd last seen him on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. He was our department's heart and soul and our team feels a distinct emptiness now that he's gone. A "Dilbert" manager he was not, tough but fair. A little too "chummy" with us, frankly, but everyone loved working for him and coming to work in his department. I volunteered to stay behind and keep things running while everyone else attended his funeral; it was my final tribute to him. Gonna miss ya, RB.

No comments: