Well. The brother and sis-in-law have finally left me alone with their daughter. They had dinner plans tonight and the sitter they had lined up decided to ask an exorbitant sum. So, plan "B" was me. I'd mentioned my desire to begin babysitting now that Lydia is a bit older. I readily agreed when my brother called me this afternoon. They promised to put her to bed while I arrived and that meant all I'd need to do is sit around and watch the Cardinals on TV and keep the internet hot, while checking in on her periodically, of course.
Well, I got to their house and they were running late, so I had a bit of trial by fire when they asked me to put her to bed. Wish someone had been present with a camera as my brother and I collaborated on pajama-ing Lydia. Who'd have ever thought we'd do THAT together? Getting her to sleep was nerve-wracking. I tried to read her a couple of books and sung to her a bit but she was, um, hesitant to go into sleep mode. Fortunately, she eventually went down and is now slumbering peacefully.
The sound of a baby sleeping is one of the most beautiful sounds one can ever hear.
3 comments:
Congrats on the first night. Just wait until you are left all alone, with nothing set out and you frantically try to find jammies and diapers and such, especially when you have to clean number 2 and dear child doesn't want to sit still.. Fun..
Way to go! That's a huge accomplishment for a single guy with no practice. Yes, there's a reason why they say, "Don't wake a sleeping baby..."
sounds like a relatively easy intro to the world of baby care. i would have paid money to watch you and your brother get her into her jammies! reading and singing were excellent choices for the calming of baby, never guaranteed fix. maybe you were just so talented in both areas she was too enthralled to sleep!
Post a Comment