Just a brief pre-4th check-in before the holiday!
I enjoyed the time-honored summer tradition in St. Louis last evening. Some friends and I did a "Meet Me At The Muny.....The Muny In Forest Park!" and enjoyed the final performance of "Aida." Not the Verdi opera, of course, but the Elton John/Tim Rice version. We all thoroughly enjoyed the performance, even if the altitude of our seats required binoculars! The humidity level was elevated, but I came armed with a liter of water to stay hydrated.
My community chorus staged its annual summer fundraiser concert Saturday night. It was a program of world and patriotic music perfect for the holiday weekend. Ticket sales were about the same as in previous years so I think we'll realize a good profit. Small-world moment: after the concert I helped tear down the stage. One of the men who was also helping (the father of one our our singers - love those people who help at the drop of a hat!) is from a town in mid-Missouri. After he asked where I was from I told him of my beginnings in Malden, MO. He replied that his secretary was from a town right next door! I even knew her family name. Small world, indeed! (even smaller that our concert was titled "One World.")
The weather forecast is rather ominous for us tomorrow. Rain, rain, go away and come again on Wednesday! I have a gathering penciled in for tonight AND tomorrow night.
The frightful tour of the American League Central Division, aka the Legion of DOOM! is over for our tired Cardinales. I wish the All-Star break was this week instead of next week. To go to extra innings against the Royals(!) once is galling but 2 nights in a row?? Ugh...
have a wonderful and safe 4th!
2 comments:
john you are a walking, talking, typing advertisement for st. louis!
you actually take advantage of the cultural opportunities in the city that all city dwellers talk about needing to be near but hardly ever actually go to or particiapte in. good job!
well, thanks for the props! I'm not a "theatre person" by any means but I'm lucky to have friends that are. I'm usually good for one show a year at the Muny. A few years back I saw almost the whole season, however, due to having friends who went every week.
Post a Comment