WOW, what an experience I had tonight! The best-pitched game the Cardinals have had all season and it happens on the night of my first (and likely only) visit to the swankiest suite in the new stadium. I learned as I was walking to the stadium with some of our Marketing folks that this was the only time all season the P-D gets the All*Star suite, as we have our own, smaller suite for everyday use. Later, I learned that this was a special occasion as the P-D and the Cardinals thanked each other for and celebrated the success of the "Historical Ticket" promotion that just ended. Most of the people that came had something to do with the project, then after they were taken care of, people like me got the leftover suite passes. That was the neat part; executive and managerial types taking in a ballgame with a computer tech, security guards, and paperhandlers.
Did I mention the free food and drink? I had a big pile of taco-beef-and-cheese nachos, a big hot dog slathered with the leftover aforementioned beef and cheese, fresh strawberries and white grapes, and several chocolate chip brownies, all washed down with a cold Sprite. Not all at once, mind you--I grazed throughout the game.
The game was pretty much all good for the home team. "Jimmy Ballgame" Edmonds made two spectacular catches in center field and Chris Carpenter pitched a two-hit shutout as the Cardinals won 5-0.
------------------
In other news, I see that the St. Louis School Board met in "emergency" session tonight and voted to fire their reform-minded superintendent. They had previously fired a well-known, wildly successful, but controversial prep basketball coach, purportedly to send a message to the superintendent. I feel sorry for school kids in the city of St. Louis; politics and personal grudges seem to have taken priority over their education.
2 comments:
OMGosh john,
what a great game to get to see! we were listening to it on the radio as we traveled to beth's for the night and then on to kansas to see the kiddos tomorrow. i wish i could have seen jimmy's catches. he is my big fav right now. jimbo is the very image of a super ball player. hit, catch, give it his all, and he is soooo georgous!(not something you worry about i am sure!) i have a very soft spot for mr. eckstine(?)too. he is a spark plug. he can always make something happen. congrats on having a stellar trip to the ballpark. did you like the new field? i have my doubts.
The Cardinals marketing executive that worked with us on the promotion stopped by and I overheard some of his conversation with our marketing folks. He said there are changes that they'll have to make in different places around the stadium (including the very suite where we were) for next year. Overall, it's a pleasant place to see a game. It will never replace the old Busch Stadium, obviously, but it has its unique charms.
Post a Comment